Sankara Eye Foundation India (Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Medical Trust)

Dedicates to eradicating preventable blindness and provides affordable eye care across India, performing over a million surgeries

  • Bronze Certified 2023
  • FCRA
  • 80G
  • 12A
Transparency Rating:
Transparency Rating
The transparency rating is calculated based on the amount of information available for the organisation.
Claim this profile
Bronze Certified Bronze Certified


  • Headquarters

    Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu

  • Since


Sankara Eye Foundation India aims to offer affordable eye care to those in need. Its goal is to end blindness that could have been prevented or treate Read mored. Started by Dr. Ramani and Dr. Radha 35 years ago, it has done over 1 million eye surgeries, making it a top eye care provider. Sankara, part of the Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Medical Trust, began its mission in 1990 with the Gift of Vision program. This program, supported by Rotary International and Rotary Coimbatore Central, provides free eye care to 80% of rural India's population. The remaining 20% pay for their treatment, helping to cover overall costs. Sankara has 13 eye hospitals in 10 states, all dedicated to ending preventable blindness.

Cause Area


Over the years, Sankara Eye Foundation has conducted 36,664 camps, screened 6,396,397 patients, and performed 2,527,509 surgeries, significantly impacting eye healthcare accessibility in India.


  • Eye Bank

    Corneal blindness ranks as the fourth leading cause of global blindness. To address this, corneal transplant emerges as a primary treatment, involving the replacement of damaged tissue with healthy donor eye tissue. Sankara Eye Hospital took strides in eye banking in 1985, establishing eight eye banks across India. Actively promoting eye donation awareness and conducting cornea retrieval initiatives, it receives almost a pair of eyes daily. Having collected over 19,262 eyes, these donations facilitate therapeutic and curative corneal transplant surgeries as well as contribute to research. Sankara also supplies donor corneas to other eye banks for emergency transplants.

  • Sankara Academy of Vision

    Established in 2013, Sankara Academy of Vision (SAV) serves as the academic arm of Sankara Eye Hospitals, focusing on training professionals across various levels of ophthalmic care. SAV's distinctive approach involves excellent courseware, interactive sessions, demonstrations, fieldwork, and hands-on experiences where necessary. Their courses emphasize holistic evaluation. With qualified faculty, infrastructure catering to training needs, and rooted in the rich heritage of Sankara's 41 years of excellence in eye care, SAV stands out for its commitment to social equity and the national goal of eradicating blindness through education, capacity building, and research.

  • Children's Eye Care(Rainbow) Programme

    The Children's Eye Care (Rainbow) program is dedicated to ensuring a brighter future for visually handicapped children by prioritizing early detection of eye diseases. Through proactive screening and preventive measures, the initiative aims to identify potential visual impairments at an early stage, allowing for timely intervention and treatment. By fostering awareness and accessibility to eye care services, Rainbow endeavours to empower children with visual challenges and enhance their overall quality of life.

  • LASIK And PRK Treatment

    Recognizing the profound influence of clear vision on daily life, Sankara Eye Hospital provides advanced LASIK surgery—a groundbreaking procedure that liberates millions from dependence on glasses and contact lenses. LASIK and PRK, distinct refractive surgery methods, share the goal of addressing common vision issues. The primary difference lies in their corneal reshaping approaches. With a commitment to optical excellence, the hospital empowers individuals to embrace life with improved vision through these cutting-edge refractive surgery options.

Leadership Team

  • Dr. R V Ramani

    Founder & Managing Trustee

  • Kaushik Murali


  • Murali Krishnamurthy

    Executive Chairman

  • Bharath Balasubramaian

    President – Operations & Administration

  • Seetha Chandrasekar


Demographics & Structure

  • No. of Employees



  • Internal, External Assessors



  • Ethics and Transparency Policies


  • Formal CEO Oversight & Compensation Policy


Political & Religious Declarations

  • On Affiliation if any


  • On Deployment Bias if any


Registration Details

  • PAN Card


  • Registration ID


  • VO ID / Darpan ID


  • 12A


  • 80G


  • FCRA


  • CSR Registration Number

    Not Available


  • Headquarters

    16A, Sankara Eye Hospital Street Sathy Road, Sivanandapuram, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India, 641035


Other Details

  • Parent Organisation

    Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Medical Trust

  • Type & Sub Type